Thursday, September 22, 2005

All this standing by is making my feet hurt

Well, nothing materialized out of the Katrina stand-by, but now we're waiting for the call on Rita. FEMA and NIFC have mobilized a half-dozen incident command teams for Rita, in addition to the nearly 2 dozen teams mobilized for Katrina. You'd think that they would need as much comm support as possible staged, since the comms pretty much turned to shit after the levees broke in N.O.

Two strike teams of ambulances (that's 10 ambulances for you non-fire types) including 3 supervisory vehicles went blazing through town going Code 3 (lights and siren) headed from Sacramento to Houston. As I put it on one of the Yahoo!Groups, they've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there. I heard that Riverside County and L.A. County are assembling their USAR (Urban Search and Rescue) teams for deployment. Everything from the West is most likely staging in San Antonio, since that's far enough out of the major winds to be safe.

I found out that I can get vacation time donated to me if I get deployed, instead of burning up my own time, so I'll probably put Susan to work on that in case I get the call. Being a courier for the county is nice, because I've made so many friends that I could get a couple months worth of donations from all the people willing to donate a day here and a day there.

No comments: